The Daily Mile
The Daily Mile was introduced as part of a planned focus on Health and Wellbeing and was received by the children with great enthusiasm. The children aim to run a mile around the school grounds every day. This initiative has been proven to have significant benefits for physical health as well as focus and concentration in class.
Summary of the Daily Mile
- The Daily Mile is not PE, cross country or sport. It is physical, emotional, social and mental Health and Wellbeing
- The Daily Mile session lasts for 15 minutes of the school afternoon each day
- Children are encouraged to run, but participate at a pace and distance that they are comfortable with and gradually build up their fitness and work towards completing a mile.
- Many staff members participate with the children.
Impacts of the Daily Mile
- Within 4 weeks, children who complete the Daily Mile become fit
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Improves fitness and energy levels
- Increases concentration and confidence
- Develops resilience
- Develops determination.
- Reduces obesity in all ages and improve health outcomes for life.